Any islands left not owned by any country/person?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. privateislandsonline.com Forum Index -> Island Buyers, Sellers and Rentals
View previous topic :: View next topic
TranquilBlue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:39 pm Post subject: Any islands left not owned by any country/person? Reply with quote

I have always been curious - are there any islands out there, undiscovered or not, which are 'up for the taking', and not owned by any country as yet? One you could literally sail onto, stick your flag on, and call it your own?

This site is dedicated to islands for sale or rental, but what about free ones that belong to the world?

There are 1,000s of islands in our huge oceans, so I am curious how this all works - I mean are they all automatically owned by whatever country those waters belong to? If so, what about International waters? The Pacific Ocean? Who owns that ocean? :wink:

I think of Tom Neale on Anchorage Island in the Suvarov Atoll. He lived there for 15 years or so, on and off, built a home there. He never mentioned taxes, ownership, land disputes, etc.! This was in the 1960s so presumably not much has changed. I think his entire life there cost him under £100 GBP.

So, just how hard would it be for someone to build a home on an uninhabited island today, and just live there?

TranquilBlue
www.tranquil-blue.com
Silverbackman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any islands out there that isn't owned by a country? They are most likely hundreds of unclaimed islands in international waters. But you would have to find them yourself.....or with other like-minded people (like myself Big smile).

Take a big ship or houseboat and head toward the high seas. If it is outside national waters and in international waters, you can claim it as your own.

To my knowledge there are no discovered islands that haven't been claimed. Has to be an unknown island or any island in international waters.
TranquilBlue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am certainly like-minded Smile Although I don't own a houseboat.

How sure are you about that? Since writing this post I read somewhere that the only unclaimed ones are in Antarctica. That may of course be inaccurate.

If one did come across an uninhabited island, in international waters, how would one know it had not yet been claimed? Do people put up a sign when they leave? All seems a bit mysterious to me now but I hope to learn more.

The ultimate goal would be to find one, claim it, cut a small landing strip or rely on seaplane, and use it as our own timeshare paradise - or even rent it out to other like-minded fellows.

TranquilBlue
www.tranquil-blue.com
Bailey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am correct I seem to remember reading either on this forum or somewhere else that there are no undiscovered islands left on the planet, that they have all been claimed by some territory. It is true that there are many around Antarctica that are not claimed by a country, but they are under the laws of the United Nations (I think, or at least some international treaty). Therefore even if an Antarctic island was your choice of paradise they wouldn't let you just settle claim it as your own. A final point is if you were to by chance discover an island and settle it, chances are it wouldn't be long before some nation came along a swept it out from underneath your feet.

I guess its just better to buy an island in a country that you like!
LSMorgan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is no.
There is no region of the planet that is unexplored or "unclaimed".
The global land grab pretty much ended at the dawn of the 20th century.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. privateislandsonline.com Forum Index -> Island Buyers, Sellers and Rentals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: